Free-Low Cost Surrender Day for Horses – Wisconsin
FREE To The First 25 Horses!
Low-Cost Surrender Fee of $150 After First 25 Horses
Have a horse you can no longer keep? We can help!
Free Surrender | Free Quality of Life Assessment | Free End of Life Services| Transport – Limitations apply.
Horse Plus Humane Society and Pony Tales Refuge are co-hosting this Free-Low Cost Surrender Day for Horses. The Surrender Day gives horse owners the option to surrender a horse for Free or Low Cost with no questions asked. No horse will be refused, no matter its condition.
We Have 3 Goals
1: Preventing horses from ending up in the wrong hands.
2: Help adoptable horses find loving homes.
3: Offering humane euthanasia to suffering horses when their owners cannot afford the high cost of euthanasia and disposal.
All surrendered horses will be evaluated for quality of life by a licensed veterinarian. Adoptable horses will be placed into adoption programs with approved adoption partners. Horses can be brought in from out of state, please make sure you have the proper paperwork for traveling across state lines with your horse.
Sunday, November 17 from 10am – 3pm
Pony Tales Refuge
4398 130th Ave.
If you have a horse you are planning on surrendering at this event please follow the link and fill out the form.
If you do not have a way of transporting your horse to the surrender day, please contact Pony Tales for transportation information: https://ponytalesrefuge.org/contact-us/
Adoption Partners are a vital component of Free-Low Cost Surrender Days for Horses. Adoption partners are able to take horses from the event and adopt them out through their adoption programs. Adoption Partner must be a 501(c)(3) organization. To apply to be an adoption partner please contact Pony Tales: https://ponytalesrefuge.org/contact-us/
Free – Low Cost Surrender Day for Horses FAQs
- Is this really free?
Yes. There is no surrender fee for the first 25 horses to arrive at the shelter. After that, it is a low-cost surrender fee of $150 per horse.
- Can I pre-register and reserve my spot to be among the first 25?
You can pre-register your horse(s), but we cannot reserve a spot for you. The free surrender is offered on a first come/first serve basis. However, it is helpful to pre-register so we have a rough idea of how many horses will be arriving that day.
- I cannot transport my horse(s). Is transport available?
Yes. We can provide you with a list of transporters that have signed up to transport for people on that day. However, it is your responsibility to arrange the transportation at your expense and the cost is up to each individual transporter. Neither Pony Tales nor Horse Plus receive any of the transport funds.
- How will I know that I am one of the first 25 or if I will need the $150 surrender fee?
We cannot guarantee anyone that they will be among the first 25 to arrive. It is best practice to plan to pay the $150 surrender fee so you are prepared, but if you are one of the first 25 to arrive, you will obviously not need to pay it.
- I have arranged for transportation and I’m hoping they will arrive as one of the first 25. Will my horse be accepted if it is not one of the first 25 and I did not send the $150 with the transporter?
If you are using a transporter to bring your horse(s) to the event, you will need to fill out and sign the Surrender Form and send it with the transporter. In addition, due to the fact that you will not be attending personally, you will need to send with the transporter cash or money order only in an amount equal to $150 per horse in case your horse(s) is not one of the first 25. If they arrive and are one of the first 25, the $150 will be refunded to you via check in the mail within 14 days of the event. Unfortunately, because this is a very expensive event for us to be hosting, we cannot accept more than 25 for free.
- Can I arrange to have my horse brought the day ahead of time to ensure that I am one of the first 25?
We will begin accepting horses surrendered for the November 17, 2019 Free – Low Cost Surrender event beginning on Friday, November 15, 2019. However…any horses who are surrendered on Friday the 15th or Saturday the 16th, will not be eligible to count as one of the first 25 and as such, they will be required to pay the low-cost surrender fee of $150. So, only the first 25 who arrive on Sunday, November 17, 2019 will be free.
- Can I or the transporter plan to arrive at Pony Tales earlier than 10am on the 17th?
Yes. You can plan to arrive as early as you would like. However, no one will be allowed onto the premises or to check in until 10am. There will be tickets available for each person to take one of for each horse they are bringing when they arrive to ensure that no one cuts in front of them later. You will need to park on the road, walk to the ticket box, grab your number, and then wait with your vehicle until the gates open at 10am.
- If I have my horse(s) brought by a transporter, how will I know whether or not they were one of the first 25?
Each horse will be given a number in the order in which they arrive and a photo will be taken of each horse showing the number they came in as. These photos will be available as evidence of the order in which your horse(s) came in.
- I would like to offer my services as a transporter. Who do I contact?
If you would like to help with transport for the horses that need it, please email us at email@example.com to get on our list.
- I do not have a horse to surrender, but I would love to come out and help with anything that may need to be done. Can I do that?
Help is certainly welcome on November 17, 2019, but please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to sign up as a volunteer. You need to be aware that this event is being filmed as part of the upcoming reality TV series Horse Rescue Heroes, so you will need to sign a release consenting to being filmed or it will be difficult for us to provide tasks for you to help with.
- Are other organizations helping to take in any of the surrendered horses?
Yes. Currently, there are four total 501c3 equine rescue organizations that have committed to taking in horses that are surrendered at the event: Pony Tales Refuge, Amazing Grace Equine Sanctuary, Phoenix Rising Rescue and Rehabilitation, and Beautiful Hearts Rescue.
- I have a 501c3 equine rescue and would like to help some of the horses surrendered. How can I get involved?
If you are a 501c3 equine rescue, please contact us at email@example.com for more information on becoming an adoption partner at this event.
- I cannot attend in person, but I would like to help with a donation. How can I do so?
Donations are always welcome, especially with the high cost of an event like this, and can be made in numerous ways:
- Through the Donate button at the top of our Facebook page. (Facebook gives 100% of donated funds to us).
- Via PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org. (If you click Friends and Family, PayPal gives 100% of the funds to us).
- Via credit card: https://ponytalesrefuge.org/donate/?fbclid=IwAR2rr0z_jEWp7GCjis9ROtHUq-ppRsL-6zFSM9c7_8Vb_JCbCdXpIZvCpV4
- By telephone: 877-766-9857
- By mail to: Pony Tales Refuge, 4398 130th Avenue, Colfax, WI 54730