Pony Tales Refuge is hosting this Low-Cost Surrender Event to give horse owners the option to surrender a horse for Low-Cost* with no questions asked. No horse will be refused, no matter its condition.
We have 3 goals:
1. Prevent horses from ending up in the wrong hands.
2. Help adoptable horses find loving homes.
3. Prevent needless suffering of horses that need the last act of kindness, but their owners cannot afford the high cost of euthanasia.
All surrendered horses will be evaluated for quality of life by a licensed veterinarian. Adoptable horses will be placed into our adoption program. Horses can be brought in from out of state, please make sure you have the proper paperwork for traveling across state lines with your horse.
When: Friday, May 8, 2020 through Friday, May 15, 2020 - by appointment only
Where: Pony Tales Refuge - 4398 130th Avenue, Colfax, Wisconsin 54730
If you have a horse you are planning on surrendering, please submit the form below.
If you do not have a way of transporting your horse to the surrender event, please
contact us for transportation information
*If you are bringing a horse from out of state (ie MN, MI, IL), they MUST come with a current/valid Certificate of Veterinary Inspection. If you do not have this, we cannot accept the horse under any circumstances. WI state law.*
1. Why does the Surrender Event last an entire week instead of one day like before?
Due to the current social distancing guidelines involved with COVID-19, we are spreading the event out over 8 days to keep the number of people on site at any one time to a minimum.
2. Then why hold the event at all right now?
Due to the current lockdown associated with COVID-19, there are millions of people struggling financially who may be facing difficulty caring for their horses. While we cannot waive the fee entirely due to the high cost of holding an event like this, we hope to be able to ease the burden so many are facing right now and help prevent the horses from ending up in the wrong hands.
3. I cannot transport my horse(s). Is transport available?
Yes. We can provide you with a list of transporters that have signed up to transport for people on that day. However, it is your responsibility to arrange the transportation at your expense and the cost is up to each individual transporter. Pony Tales does not receive any of the transport funds.
4. I have arranged for transport, but will not be present at the event. Is that ok?
If you are using a transporter to bring your horse(s) to the event, you will need to fill out and sign the Surrender Form and send it with the transporter. In addition, due to the fact that you will not be attending personally, you will need to send with the transporter cash or money order only in an amount equal to $150 per horse.
5. I am suffering extreme financial hardship right now and I cannot afford even the Low-Cost Surrender Fee. Can the fee be waived?
Due to the high cost of holding an event like this, we cannot waive the already reduced surrender fee. However, we have started a fundraiser specifically for this event and as funds allow, we will waive the fee for those who have applied and qualify for the hardship waiver. Please contact us to learn if you qualify for the waiver at email@example.com.
6. Can I bring my horse at any time between May 8 and 15?
No. Due to the current social distancing guidelines, you will need to scheduled an appointment for a day and approximate time of arrival so we can ensure that there are not too many people on site at any one time. Submit the form above to schedule your time.
7. I would like to offer my services as a transporter. Who do I contact?
If you would like to help with transport for the horses that need it, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to our list.
8. I do not have a horse to surrender, but I would love to come out and help with anything that may need to be done. Can I do that?
Unfortunately, no. While normally we would love to have as many people out to volunteer during the event, due to the current social distancing guidelines we need to keep the number of people on site at any one time to a minimum.
9. I have a 501c3 equine rescue and would like to help some of the horses surrendered. How can I get involved?
If you are a 501c3 equine rescue, please contact us at email@example.com for more information on becoming an adoption partner at this event.
10. I cannot attend in person, but I would like to help with a donation. How can I do so?
Donations are always welcome, especially with the high cost of an event like this and our hopes to be able to waive the surrender fee for those suffering extreme hardship right now. Donations can be made in numerous ways:
Through the Donate button at the top of our Facebook page. (Facebook gives 100% of donated funds to us).
Via PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org (If you click Friends and Family, PayPal gives 100% of the funds to us).
Via credit card: https://ponytalesrefuge.org/donate/?fbclid=IwAR2rr0z_jEWp7GCjis9ROtHUq-ppRsL-6zFSM9c7_8Vb_JCbCdXpIZvCpV4
By telephone: 877-766-9857
By mail to: Pony Tales Refuge, 4398 130th Avenue, Colfax, WI 54730